In business since 1893, where they began they sailed north and south along the scenic Norwegian coast connecting 34 key communites year round, Hurtigruten set out on their first expedition to Svalbard in 1896. The principal they live by is that exploring and learning about our beautiful planet should go hand-in-hand. The fleet of modern expedition ships is designed to travel to even the most challenging of destinations while providing a comfortable and stylish setting to absorb the wonders of nature. Ships are small enough to dock at local ports, and all cabins are stylish, and designed for comfort and relaxtion.
Hurtigruten Expeditions cruises feature a group of hand-picked experts who make up the Expedition Team, and they’ll deliver fascinating talks and lead guests on shore landings, kayaking excursions, expedition boat adventures and much more. Science is key to understanding the world, and that’s why some of the team are scientists. If you want to learn more, our teams are available to help use the onboard scientific equipment and will guide you on Citizen Science projects which help ongoing global research.
Committed to sustainable travel and protecting the places visited means guests help pioneer a greener way of cruising. With diverse and unique expedition cruises to 15 global destinations, and stopping at over 230 ports and landing sites from major cities to isolated islands, Hurtigruten help people to unleash their inner explorer.
Those who travel on an expedition cruise with Hurtigruten can expect the unexpected and to be prepared for life-changing experiences!
Day 1: Longyearbyen, overnight hotel
Day 2: Barentsburgs, embarkation of your cruise
Day 3: The wilds of Spitsbergen
Day 4: The fjords of Svalbard
Day 5: Birdlife in Kongsfjorden
Day 6: Return to Longyearbyen
* One night at the hotel in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including light dinner, breakfast and lunch
– Airport to hotel in Longyearbyen
– 3 hours Sightseeing in Longyearbyen incl. Museum and Camp Barentz, ending at the pier
– Transfer between ship and Longyearbyen airport
Onboard your Expedition Cruise
* Breakfast, lunch and dinner
* Complimentary tea and coffee
* English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
* Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Please note there is very limited Wi-Fi and phone signal in the remote areas we travel to and streaming is not supported. When in Svalbard, there is no Wi-Fi or mobile coverage except in Longyearbyen or Barentsburg.
* Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
* Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
* Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Svalbard
* Loan of trekking poles and thermal suits for activities